RESIDENT SCREENING POLICY
PLEASE READ CARFULLY
Welcome to The Kontour at Kessler Park Apartments. Before you apply to rent an apartment home in our community, please take the time to review this screening policy. All persons 18 years of age or older will be required to complete rental applications. Applicants legally married and applying for residency will be required to complete separate applications. The term ‘residents’ under this policy means the person or persons that will be signing the Lease as “residents”; the term ‘occupants’ in this policy means the person or persons that are authorized as occupants under the Lease.
Please also note that these are our current rental criteria; nothing contained in these requirements shall constitute a guarantee or representation by us that all residents and occupants currently residing in the community have met these requirements. There may be residents and occupants that have resided in the community prior to these requirements going into effect; additionally, our ability to verify whether these requirements have been met is limited to the information we receive from the various resident credit reporting services used. It is the policy of this community to comply with all applicable fair housing laws including those which prohibit discrimination against any person based on race, sex, religion, color, familial status, national origin, or handicap.
- Occupancy Guidelines – The following occupancy standards apply:
- 2 persons per bedroom
- 1 person per study/den
- 3 persons that are considered head of household is the maximum per apartment
- Age – Applicants must be 18 years of age or older unless deemed to be an adult under applicable law with respect to the execution of contracts.
- Credit – A credit report will be completed on all applicants to verify account credit ratings. Income plus verified credit history will be entered into a credit scoring model to determine rental eligibility and security deposit levels. Unfavorable accounts which will negatively influence this score include, but are not limited to: collections, charge-off repossession, and current or recent delinquency.ADDITIONAL APPLICATION DEPOSITS WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL LOW ACCEPTS AND CONDITIONAL ACCEPTS CREDIT RECOMMENDATIONS.Refer Credit Recommendation occurs on applicants with little or no credit history. In such cases additional checks for rental and income/employments will be completed. When no rental history exists, an additional deposit equal to a FULL standard deposit is required. A criminal background check must be approved before further approval consideration is given.
- Income – Gross income for all applicants in one apartment home will be combined and entered into the credit scoring model for income eligibility. All applicants will be asked to produce most recent pay stubs for the last 2 weeks from Application Date. Applicants must have a minimum combined gross income of three times the monthly rent. Additional sources of verifiable income may be considered. These sources may include: child support, grants, pensions, GI benefits, disability, trust funds, social security and banking accounts.
- Employment – If employment is to begin work shortly; the applicant must provide a “letter of intent” to hire from the employer in addition to the information requested on the application. Must be at your current employer for 1 year. If not, we must have proof of your previous employment that you were there for at least 1 year.
- Self-Employment, Retired, or Unemployed – Such applicants must provide the previous year’s income tax return and the previous two month’s bank statements, or twelve months of financial statements and must exhibit no negative references. Prepaid rent may be required.
- Criminal History – A criminal background check will be conducted for each applicant and occupant age 18 years of more. The application will be denied for any felony conviction. Some misdemeanor offenses will be denied as well.
- Rental History – Applicant(s) must have a minimum of 6 months of current, verifiable rental or mortgage payment history within the last 24 months. Applicants that do not have verifiable rental or mortgage history will have to pay an additional deposit equal to a full standard deposit. Eviction/outstanding rental debt must be at least 2 years old, and have established good, verifiable current rental history after eviction/outstanding rental debt was acquired. If the applicant has non/current rental history then there could be a deposit required and/or co-signer/guarantor prior to moving in.
- Non-U.S. Citizens – A Non-U.S. Citizen without a Social Security Number will be required to fill out a TAA Non-Citizen Application in addition, we may require one month’s rent as a refundable deposit paid upon move in.
- Guarantors – Guarantors will be accepted for applicants who are first-time renters or students. For guarantor-supported applications, an additional application deposit may be required. The deposit level will be based on the credit analysis. The guarantor will be required to complete an application and pay a full application fee. Guarantors must have a gross monthly income of 4 times the monthly rent and meet all other qualifying criteria identified in this screening policy. The guarantor will be asked to sign a Lease Guaranty Agreement to support this application. Only a relative or employer will be considered as guarantors.
- Animals – No more than two animals are allowed per apartment without prior management approval. Pets must pass a pet interview and show no signs of aggression. Exotic animals such as reptiles, birds, rodents, and poisonous animals such as tarantulas, insects, and poisonous fish are not allowed. A $250 deposit and a $250 non-refundable fee will be required for the first pet. Additional pets will require an additional $100 deposit and $150 non-refundable fee per animal. Aquariums will be allowed with a 20- gallon maximum on the first floor only with proof of renter’s insurance for the entire term of the lease.
- Vehicles – Vehicles must be operational and have current registration and inspection. Boats, trailers, RV’s, commercial, or any recreational vehicles are not allowed.
- Deposit Levels – The result of the credit analysis score will determine the amount of the application deposit. This may range from a standard deposit to an additional deposit requirement equal to 2 full month’s rent.
- Falsification of Application – Any falsification in Applicant’s paperwork will result in the automatic rejection of Application. In the event that an Applicant falsifies paperwork, owner has the right to hold all deposits and fees paid to apply towards liquidated damages.